Silk wrapping your hair is a relatively new technique of wrapping your hair while dry with a bit of moisturizer and shine spray and sitting under a hooded dryer. The purpose of this treatment was intended to give relaxed hair the ‘flat ironed and silky’ look without the heat trauma involved.
Somewhere down the line it was realized as a great technique for naturals and we found a way to make this our own! It works great for natural hair that has been pressed and/or flat ironed. The treatment will serve the same purpose with the added benefit of reducing the volume of the hair for a ‘flatter’ look.
Top Flat Irons For Silk Wrapping
If a Natural wants some length in the time of her straight style then this may be a great tip to try in order to minimize heat damage. Look at this amazing job of the process on this pic below and check out the technique we have listed.
Silk Wrap Natural Hair
• Take a dime sized amount of your moisturizer (preferably something light) and rub your hands. Apply to your hair concentrating on the ends and use a comb to smooth through your strands.
• Brush your hair into a smooth wrap trying not to use any pins as they will create creases in the finished look. If desired, spray your hair lightly with an oil sheen spray.
• Apply the saran wrap (cling film) over the hair quite firmly ensuring you cover the top of your head as well.
• Sit under a moderate to hot hooded dryer for 10-20 minutes.
• Remove the saran wrap and comb out the wrap.
• Silky smooth locks are yours!
If done correctly natural hair will not revert with the silk wrap treatment but instead the hair will be smoother. (ORIGIN)
I’m all for homemade techniques and I truly believe this constitutes as one but I’m not one for flat ironing and wearing my hair straight. It appears to be the same as wrapping your hair in a silk scarf and that’s what we’ve (myself, sister and daughter) usually do or did back when we were relaxed. There are some techniques that still matter or work when natural from our relaxed days and I think this one will catch on quick!!!
A silk wrapping allows to get bone straight hair with the least amount of heat damage to your strands. Ideal for anyone who wants to ensure she goes back to her bangin curls after the straight style we often crave from time to time and always look great for dramatic looks for the holidays and special occasions.
Top Silk Wrapping Accessories
We love sharing amazing videos on how to create natural hairstyles and found this popular one on how to properly straighten and silk wrap your natural hair. Cie Foster shares the technique after her blowout and you see how she ends up with bone straight hair with less damage. The key is always to create a style without damage!
Have you tried a silk wrap? Share your pics and experience below!