Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE has discussed Oprah’s latest installment of her magazine where she is donning a 3.5 Afro wig which is gorgeous and fabulous. This has got to be one of the most talked about issues in the Natural hair community outside of when she discussed her own hair. Despite all the buzz not much has been discussed about what was actually INSIDE the magazine and what it had to offer.
Now, I haven’t seen it but Naturallycurly.com, a site all things naturally curly and naturally beautiful has given us the 411 on what the take away was for the Naturals.
This hair issue has to be one of the most encompassing pieces of coverage on hair that corporate women’s lifestyle media has produced…When it comes to the best cut for your face shape, the issue showcases different lengths and styles based on your hair-type, too: straight, wavy/curly and kinky. And this in and of itself may be a beauty industry first. Naturallycurly.com
Naturallycurly.com also discusses the biggest takeaways from this issues and reasons for maybe trying the entire magazine out. (Courtesy of Naturallycurly.com)
- 90 percent of celebrities on the celebrities on the red carpet are wearing someone else’s hair. The other 10 percent are generally younger than 16 or just got a pixie cut.
- Sales of relaxers have plummeted 40 percent over the the past five years, though extension sales are on the rise.
- Much like you can’t type and talk, stylists generally can’t cut and conversate, so keep your salon gossip to a minimum during the actual cut.
- Cordless hairdryers that come with car chargers are now a thing. Seriously.
- In 1908, L’Oreal made three different hair dyes. Today, the brand makes 219.
- 60 percent of women will deal with hair loss at some point in their lives.
- The hair transplant process sounds painful, but apparently isn’t – except for your wallet (15K a treatment!).
- Stress doesn’t cause gray hair. Whew!
- American women spend nearly $59 billion in hair care – which is more than three times the annual budget of NASA.
- This nugget: “57 percent of women give a choice between great hair and ten more IQ points would take the former,” which is ironic because “women were judged smartest in photos that hid their hair altogether.”
These are some great takeaways and my favorite (of course) is the sales of relaxers dropping a whopping 40% over the past 5 years. WHOA!! Way to go Naturals! The 60% of women that will deal with hair loss was a grave point but I feel much better about it now that I’m Natural and doing way less harm to my tresses.
So, have you read the issue and if so what are your thoughts? It sounds chocked full of great information for all women and maybe I WILL bite the bullet and check it out for myself. What was your takeaway Naturals? I’d love to know.
Oprah has got us buzzing Naturals,