1. How long have you been Natural?
I have been natural since March 2011.
2. Why did you become Natural?
I originally became natural because I started menopause at the age
of 42 and the hot flashes and night sweats kept my scalp wet. I started putting braids in my hair in
3. Was it a hard transition? How did you transition?
It was not a hard transition because I had to braids as a
cover-all. I transitioned with
keeping my hair braided.
4. Did your age aid in your decision to go Natural?
I would like to think that my age did not aid in my decision, but
I’ve been threatening to go get back to my natural hair roots for years
now, and because I was thinking on how my natural hair looked when I was
in high school, I’m inclined to believe age has everything to do with it.
5. Does your age make it easier or harder to be Natural?
I believe my age makes it harder to be natural because it is not
easy to maintain natural hair.
6. Do you see many Older Naturals in your area? If so, what styles are they sporting?
No, I see many older naturals in my area, but I do see some and am
7. How do you primarily wear your Natural hair?
In my Afro (if I braid it nightly) and in a ponytail puff ball if
8. Favorite products and/or product line?
I honestly have no favorite product line, but my favorite products
are EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) and castor oil.
9. Any words of wisdom or encouragement for other Older Naturals already Natural or thinking about it?
Don’t give up and in to the temptation of
relaxed hair. Maintaining natural
hair is not easy, but it is definitely WORTH IT! It is an experience I wouldn’t trade for
another relaxer in the world!!!
She‘s got that right! I wouldn’t go back to a relaxer if you paid me…OK...let me stop ranting. I just want to thank Deanna for sharing her story and I love her openness on why she became natural. See, there really is a difference with younger and older Naturals but all are lovely and all have a story to tell. She is gorgeous and that hair is looking good!!
Don’t forget I’m always looking for women thirty and over to share their Natural hair story with us.
Take care Naturals,