1. How long have you been Natural?
I have been completely natural for a little over 2 1/2 months now. (Now 4 years)
2. Why did you become Natural?
There really was no specific reason for becoming natural but the more I saw other ladies I realized that it was something that I might like.
3. Was it a hard transition? How did you transition?
My transition was not very hard at all. I was already sporting a short cut due to hair trauma about a year and a half before and actually my hair was growing back. I would continue to cut it to wear a short spiky style . One day as I was sitting there I decided why not give it a try? I could always go back to a relaxed state if I didn’t like it. One day when I wa going to the salon to let the stylist trim the top I just told her to take it down to the new growth. At that point I had not had a relaxer in about five weeks or more. I don’t really know what exact time since my chopping off the relaxed tresses was a very spontaneous move.
4. Did your age aid in your decision to go Natural?
My age never played a part in my decision. Lately I have been doing lots of things spontaneous. It is very easy for me to be natural. Ha! Now that I think about it I also took off the fake nails about the same time.
5. Do you see many Older Naturals in your area? If so, what styles are they sporting?
I see plenty naturals in my area. Just recently I went to an arts fest and everywhere I turned there was a natural sporting a beautiful head of hair or even a TWA.
6. How do you primarily wear your Natural hair?
Right now I am rocking an Afro. I know I have growth because I have pulled it and checked but I am not ready to experiment with twist styles.
7. Favorite products and/or product line?I like Shea Moisture products very much. I have also used Kinky Curly brands. I am still reading up another items I can use for my hair. I also use a homemade leave in conditioner. I found the recipe on YouTube. It consist of a leave in conditioner, Castor oil, Aloe Vera juice and jojoba oil. I love it!
8. Any words of wisdom or encouragement for other Older Naturals already Natural or thinking about it?Everyday is a process with me. I try to be good to my hair and listen to it when it comes to using products. My hair will definitely let me know it doesn’t like the products because it gets very crunchy. I try to keep a routine. Most importantly I am patient. I love being natural!
I want to thank Nicole for sharing her story with us as well as her beautiful smile and sassy style. She’s a good friend of mine from New Orleans and I’m so happy she took the Natural plunge. She is working those braids ain’t she? You can find Nicole here at:
Pleasant World Travels – Fun Relaxation and Good Times, it’s what we plan!
Take care Naturals,