The tips I am sharing are experiential and unique to my experiences. There is no one sure and fast solution as we are all have different triggers, but I wanted to share with you the steps I took to leave the tender headed journey behind.
1. Stopped using heat for about six months. This gave my scalp a break and since my hair air dried quickly, it also gave my hair a break from the heat.
2. In the most painful areas, place a cold pack covered with a cloth so you won’t have direct contact to the coldness of the ice pack. This will help to stop the soreness and pain on contact. Leave for only a few seconds and apply when needed.
3. Stop wearing braids. The constant pulling and tugging contributed to an already tender scalp. Instead, I opted to twist my hair for a year until my scalp healed. This also included not adding extensions as my head could not bear the weight of the extra hair.
4. Eliminated products that itched. For this one it took a little bit of leg work. I had to read the ingredients and journal which products where I got the most negative reaction. In my case, products that were high in salt and wheat had to be removed.
5. Stopped using the ACV rinse. Even though water reduced the acidity level, it still aggravated my scalp and left my hair feeling brittle.
6. Tested the pH of the water and used bottled water. This was temporary as I moved to a city where the water is less alkaline. The higher the alkalinity, the drier your hair and scalp.
7. Wash with warm and rinse with cool water. For many of us we think this is a no brain-er but you will be surprised how we are conditioned to turn up the temperature on the water because it can feel so relaxing. Remember, hot water strips.
9. Included a bentonite clay mask Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay Deep Pore Cleansing to pull out any toxins and residual relaxer. Our hair carries a print of all that we do to it and what a shampoo and condition couldn’t do, I used the clay mask. It felt wonderful and cooling to the scalp.
10. Used the Neutrogena T-Gel Shampoo. The main ingredient coal was awesome and gave me quicker recovery. I wish I used this earlier in my return back to natural.
Again, this is not a sure formula but I hope these tips help. When in doubt, always consult a doctor.
SHOP THIS POST