Types of Hair Loss:
1. Alopecia (hair loss) – may occur in different locations on the scalp, some cases are reversible and others are not
2. Telogen Effluvium – caused by extreme stress
3. Hair Breakage – from excessive chemical use, heat, or rubber-bands
4. Traction – pulling of the hair, especially from different hairstyles.
5. Central Centrifugal Cicatricial Alopecia – begins in the central portion of the scalp and spreads in an outward pattern and causes scarring of hair follicles
6. Hair is infected with fungus, oftentimes ringworm.
If you are afraid you may be struggling with hair loss or know someone who is, please consult your beautician or dermatologist.
[by Ashante’ Travis via My Hair Crush]
I also wanted to share top causes of hair loss in women because knowledge is power. Despite what you may think, you can always find ways to fix a hair loss problem either with changing your hair routine, seeking professional help from a physician, Dermatologist / Trichologist or natural remedies. Here are some other common reasons for hair loss in women courtesy of Blackdoctor.org
Some women may notice their hair seems fuller during pregnancy. That’s thanks to high levels of hormones that keep resting hairs from falling out as they normally would. But it doesn’t last forever. After childbirth, when hormone levels return to normal, those strands fall out quickly. This can mean a surprising amount of hair loss at one time. It may take up to two years for hair to return to normal.
A little known side effect of birth control pills is the potential for hair loss. The hormones that suppress ovulation can cause hair to thin in some women, particularly those with a family history of hair loss. Sometimes hair loss begins when you stop taking the pill. Other drugs linked to hair loss include blood thinners and medicines that treat high blood pressure, heart disease, arthritis, and depression.
It’s no myth: Wearing cornrows or tight ponytails can irritate the scalp and cause hair to fall out. The same is true of using tight rollers. Let your hair down, and it should grow back normally. Be aware that long-term use of these styles can cause scarring of the scalp and permanent hair loss.
Take care Naturals,