No, I’m not using heat but I know so many of you out there that do so I decided to share a few tips I’ve read about recently on numerous sites. We’ve got to keep that ceramic flat iron clean since it can get all kinds of build up on it and that can get back on your hair.
The actual product, heat protectant, that (I hope) all are using when using a ceramic flat iron can build up on the flat iron and cause trauma to the hair if left on. The various products in your hair can also tug at your hair if left on the flat iron too so keeping your hair tools clean can avoid a lot of damage to the hair.
The best way to go is cleaning it after each use. Can’t go wrong with that philosophy.
- When finished with your iron, turn it off and unplug it. Lay on heat resistant mat or heat resistant surface and allow to cool for up to five minutes.
- Wipe it down with a damp towel. Not soaking wet or bone dry…damp. This should remove any product if none was on it prior to this usage. If you are doing this for the first time and there is considerable build up you may want to purchase a professional cleaner used for thermal heating products. Use a paper towel to remove the build up once it’s loosened up.
- Use a cotton swab to get into the smaller spaces to remove the product as well.
- Don’t use harsh cleaners to do this. You could ruin your flat iron. Use products specifically made for this or use some things around the house that most of us have like “Nail polish remover, ammonia, spray on oven cleaner, and rubbing alcohol can each break down hardened styling product on your flat iron”. eHow Style .
- Soak any one of those in a cotton ball and wipe the product build up off the flat iron. Follow up with a damp paper towel to wipe the cleaner off so it won’t end up on your hair during the next usage.
These steps are simple and can save your hair and your flat iron. It’s as important as using that heat protectant so make it a part of your straightening routine. This can also save the life of your flat iron so it’s really a saving tip as well.
Let’s keep it clean Naturals,