- Set up some "me" time for yourself. Sounds easy and well it is. Find a time when your household is not overrun with chaos. It may be very early in the morning or late in the evening but whenever you can just allow yourself at least 10 minutes of down time. Write in a journal, read a book, close your eyes and mediate...it needs to be something you enjoy and never seem to have time for.
- Throw in a little exercise. If you are already an avid exerciser than by all means keep it up but if you are not then a 10 minute workout like, Easy 10 Minute Workout for Busy Moms is a great start. Cannot find time to do it?Well, it's only 10 minutes! You can wake up 10 minutes earlier, exercise while watching TV or exercise before you jump in the shower. I know it sounds like an oversimplification of a task but if you make it priority to just do 10 minutes of it you will see a difference in your body and mind. The little bit of exercise will give you more energy to face the holiday madness.
- Sometimes saying "No". Yes, we have all heard this tip many times, but have you ever done it? It's hard to tell friends and family "No" sometimes but everyone needs a break. This two-letter word can keep you from spreading yourself too thin. Now, we all know when there are times we have to say "Yes,” but not every ask of you is necessary. When you feel you truly need a break then take a deep breath and just say "No.”
- Shop smart. This just means to plan and map out when and where you want to go shopping and remember it will be busy out there. If you can shop online then do it. You can order gifts and have them gift wrapped and sent all over the world so don't feel you have to go out and buy it and ship it yourself. The malls and stores are overcrowded and the lines will be long. If you can avoid it by going early in the morning or shopping during the week do that too. The time you save will give you more time to be with friends, family or just by yourself.
- Do a protective style. Ah, you didn't expect to see this one did you. Well, it's true that some protective styles can keep you out of your hair and give you a few extra minutes to yourself. When my hair was in twists I really had lower maintenance hair. In my post, Holiday Hair - Natural hairstyles perfect for the parties!, there are styles that are for parties but also keep you out of your hair for a few days or more.
Try one or more of these tips and notice the extra time, energy or calm you have around you. Have your fun and enjoy your festivities but just not at the expense of your sanity.
Take care Naturals,