1. How long have you been Natural?
Since December 24, 2011.
2. Why did you become Natural?
I got tired of having bad hair days. I detest the hairdresser but loved my hairdresser but didn't want to sit under the dryer another day in my life. Once I graduated with my PhD, I decided that I was done, but still didn't give up the dryer until I had fully transitioned.
3. Was it a hard transition? How did you transition?
Not really. The hardest part was the different climates I was experiencing while transitioning. I was traveling for my job between Washington state and lower Louisiana in December. The weather was harsh on my hair. I rolled my hair on rods and wore a curly fro.
4. Did your age aid in your decision to go Natural?
5. Does your age make it easier or harder to be Natural?
6. Do you see many Older Naturals in your area? If so, what styles are they sporting?
I have seen several in my area. Dreadlocks, TWA's or curly fros like mine.
7. How do you primarily wear your Natural hair?
Wash n Go's that I maintain for 10+ days.
8. Favorite products and/or product line?
Kinky Curly is my staple product with regular kitchen virgin olive oil. Other products I use are Shea Moisture and hold spray, Shea Moisture Curly Soufflè when I get too dry and the Shea Moisture Curl Milk.
9. Any words of wisdom or encouragement for other Older Naturals already Natural or thinking about it?
Just do it if you are thinking about it. I am 40 and t has just freed me from many time wasting rituals. I am not saying that this is not time consuming because it is, but I love it so much.
Don't forget I'm always looking for women thirty and over to share their Natural hair story with us.
Take care Naturals,