I've been Natural for three years.
2. Why did you become Natural?
I became natural because maintenance of processed hair and/or hairstyles with/without weave was expensive to keep up with. Also, I got tired of making these beauty supply stores rich off my desire to have the look "Good Hair". Natural hair is "Good Hair"! A lot of us just choose not to embrace it or simply choose not to.
3. Was it a hard transition? How did you transition?
For me, it wasn't hard to transition because it went to the show and got all my hair cut off. I had a low cut fade and let my hair grow with no chemicals.
4. Did your age aid in your decision to go Natural?
No, I just simply thought to myself that I am beautiful without additions and no product can make you more beautiful than your natural beauty. Yes, you can enhance your appearance but what matters is how you look and feel when it all comes off.
5. Does your age make it easier or harder to be Natural?
For me, I would say neither.
6. Do you see other Naturals in your area? If so, what styles are they sporting?
Yes, I see lots of older Naturals in my area. They are wearing Afros, Locs and fades.
7. How do you primarily wear your Natural hair?
I have Locs now, so I mostly just let them hang unless I'm going somewhere special.
8. Do you have favorite products and/or product line?
I love New Organics Olive Oil products!
9. Any words of wisdom or encouragement for other Older Naturals already Natural or thinking about it?
Do your research and homework. Then go for it! The longer you wait the more you will think to yourself that you wish you would've done it years ago.
I want to thank Aelicia for taking out the time to share your journey with us. She's beautiful and her hair is gorgeous. I agree with her thinking on many of us not embracing our natural selves. It's a shame so many of us worship straight hair but that's for another time and another post!
Don't forget I'm always looking for women thirty and over to share their Natural hair story with us.
Take care Naturals,