1yr on Dec 2, 2010
2. Why did you become Natural?
After watching Chris Rocks' "Good Hair" I realized how much damage I was doing to my hair and scalp & at age 46 I decided to do the Big Chop.
3. Was it a hard transition? How did you transition?
I wore braids for 2 days & I kept having hot flashes..lol and I cut them out and the next day I went to the barbershop took my hat off and said "Do something!" In less than an hour I had about 1 1/2" of hair and I loved it!! I had not had a relaxer in about 3 months.
4. Did your age aid in your decision to go Natural?
It did because I wasn't worried about keeping up with the trends nor what people thought about me. I did it as a healthy living decision.
5. Does your age make it easier or harder to be Natural?
Made it much easier, I am the last of my core group of 6 childhood girlfriends who went Natural and I kept thinking what took me so long?!!
6. Do you see many Older Naturals in your area?
If so, what styles are they sporting? TWA's. There are a lot of older women at my church who are natural and gave me the courage, they mainly wear TWA's
7. How do you primarily wear your Natural hair?
Twist out and the unkempt fro
8. Favorite products and/or product line?
After being a product junkie for 4 months, I decided to use all natural products, my staple products are Natty Moist & Natty Butter, by All Things O'Natural. I love grapeseed, jojoba, avocado and extra virgin coconut oils. I also mix peppermint & bergamot essential oils into my mixture and do daily scalp massages and my hair growth has taken off. I'm always asked what products do I use and when I reply natural oils etc., I get the blank stare and then I explain how I use the products to get my hair to grow!
9. Any words of wisdom or encouragement for other Older Naturals already Natural or thinking about it?Go for it!! It has renewed my confidence and I feel so sexy being natural and the fact that I'm not at the beauty salon spending hundreds of dollars each month on an unhealthy head of hair makes it even better! My boyfriend even massages my scalp & washes my hair for me. He knows how much I love hair accessories and will even bring me some as a surprise. The fact that he loves it and encouraged me to go Natural helped so much in my decision.
Take Care Naturals,