Another Sistah Blogger!
1. How long have you been Natural?
I have been natural for 29 months (Jan 31, 2009)
2. Why did you become Natural?
I became natural because as a permie I began to have issues with my hair. It was like I had a reverse Mohawk all of a sudden, no alopecia but definitely breakage. My doctor said it could be my chemicals I was using so I cut the hair about 2 inches and then for 3 months I wore small individual plaits (not quite pixies). Then when I took them out of my hair I cut the remaining perm off and have been natural ever since.
3. Was it a hard transition? How did you transition?
No it was not hard to transition. I wore extension plaits for 3 months then cut off the relaxed ends. Best thing I ever did.
4. Did your age aid in your decision to go Natural?
No my age had nothing to do with it but my vanity, doctors diagnosis and the fact that as it grew I really liked my texture.
5. Does your age make it easier or harder to be Natural?
My age makes it easier for me to be natural because “I know who I am” and it doesn’t matter what other people say or think. If it doesn’t pay my bills or keep me warm at night or take care of my family… the Hell with them…LOL.
6. Do you see many Older Naturals in your area?
Yes, I live in the MD/DC area and travel all over the east coast. If so, what styles are they sporting? Many Black Women and Men rocking their naturals whether it be loose or in locs or twist or braids.
7. How do you primarily wear your Natural hair?
I wear my hair in either a wash and go or small twists most times. My small twists I keep moisturized and sealed and let the ends naturally curl with the aid of Water. I then style, however I choose that day.
8. Favorite products and/or product line?
My favorite products are :
Curl Junkie Assurance Lotion(leave in Conditioner/Curl in a Bottle (Finisher).
Oyin Handmade Hair Dew
Whipped Pudding and Honey Hemp Conditioner
Eco Styler Pink
Aloe Vera Gel and Juice
9. Any words of wisdom or encouragement for other Older Naturals already Natural or thinking about it? My only words are to do what makes you feel good about you. Natural is not just a Trend but a lifestyle because you will start monitoring your health, eating habits and physicality much more closely. You will also become more aware of your surroundings and people and theirs as well. Yes it still takes strength and a great self esteem to stay encouraged with a lot of negativity around you… But hey, “ Just Do You!”
I just want to thank Vetsnatural for taking out the time to share with us. Her hair looks amazing and you can see all the progress in her hair growth on her blog. Just click on the name under her first pic. She’s beautiful and confident with her self and her hair.
I’m still looking for older Naturals to share so email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to let everyone see just how happy you are being Natural!!